Professor: Because America is such a large country, it took a while before
everyone in all areas could really share a common culture. When
America was first being settled, people traveled thousands of miles to
settle new areas. There was little communication between everyone in
their remote areas. Americans in their different places spoke different
English, had different customs, wore different clothes, and lived different
and separate lives. There were two important inventions that helped link
Americans to each other and thus helped us all to have more of a
Thanks to the automobile being produced in mass in the 1920’s, people
were able to travel more easily to visit other towns and cities. Now,
people who lived in small cities and towns, with the help of their
automobile, were able to quickly travel to big cities and other locations.
By being exposed to other Americans so frequently, goods were
exchanged easier, as well as culture, speech, and other behaviors.
People could also take vacations to distant places that they had not
been before and take with them their culture, as well as bring back that
of Americans living in distant areas.
Another important invention that helped keep our language more
homogeneous through time was the radio. As the purchasing of cars
increased, so did that of radios. People listened to nationally syndicated
radio programs all over America. There were radio dramas, radio
musicals, and public addresses by presidents. By all listening to the
same programs, speech and culture were shared by people all over the
Question 6: Explain how the automobile and radio helped contribute to a
common culture in America. Use examples and details from the lecture
in your answer.
- Choose a place you go to often that is important to you and explain why it isimportant. Please include specific details in your explanation.90
- The Torch The university newspaper, The Torch, is now taking applications from students who are interested in joining the staff. There are several different positions available and experience in journalism is not required. This is the chance to get the ex80
- Do you prefer long-term trips or short-term trips? Use details and examples to support your explanation.80
- Some college students choose to take courses in a variety of subject areas in orderto get a broad education. Others choose to focus on a single subject area in order tohave a deeper understanding of that area. Which approach to course selection doyou thin90
- Good News for Movie Fans The Student Association has just purchased a new sound system for the Old Lincoln Hall auditorium, the place where movies on campus are currently shown. By installing the new sound system, the Student Association hopes to attract 73
25 in 30
1. Don't rush in speaking. Talk normally but a little bit quickly.
2. More content wanted for the automobiles