Directions The University is making a change in the courses it will offer Read the article from the university newspaper about the change Give yourself 45 seconds to read the article Sculpture Courses to Be Discontinued University administrators announced

Speaking topics in text

Directions: The University is making a change in the courses it will offer. Read the article from
the university newspaper about the change. Give yourself 45 seconds to read the article.

Sculpture Courses to Be Discontinued
University administrators announced yesterday that the sculpture program, a division of the art
department, will be eliminated. “The main reason is a lack of student interest,” reported one
administrator. “Although the number of art students has increased, fewer and fewer art majors
are taking sculpture classes.” Furthermore, the department’s only sculpture professor is retiring
this year. “Given the art department’s limited budget,” the administrator explained, “it just
doesn’t make sense to hire a new full-time professor to teach sculpture for only a handful of
students.”

Directions: Read the transcript.

Narrator Now listen to two students discussing the article.

Male student Everything alright?

Female student Yeah, I’m just upset about that article I showed you this morning …

Male student Why, what’s the big deal?

Female student Well, as an art major, I think it’s a big loss for the department. The university’s
got it all wrong.

Male student What do you mean?

Female student Well, the low enrollment isn’t because art majors don’t want to take these
classes. Problem is, who has time to take them when there are so many other
requirements?

Male student I don’t understand.

Female student See, the classes they’re eliminating are all optional. The required courses are
mostly painting and drawing, and they take up all our time. What we really need
are different requirements—then art majors could take a better variety of classes
… all the things we’re interested in.

Male student That makes sense. But, the thing about the professor …

Female student Well, that’s true. But still, they’re being drastic. If money’s the problem, they
could hire a part-time professor! Or, most of the professors in the department
have secondary fields …

Male student Really?

Female student Yeah! At least a few painting teachers are also great sculptors. I’m sure one of
them could teach a class.

Speaking recording
Speaking category