The following appeared as part of a letter to the editor of a scientific journal."A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situ

The following appeared as part of a letter to the editor of a scientific journal.
"A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situations (such as an encounter with an unfamiliar monkey), firstborn infant monkeys produce up to twice as much of the hormone cortisol, which primes the body for increased activity levels, as do their younger siblings. Firstborn humans also produce relatively high levels of cortisol in stimulating situations (such as the return of a parent after an absence). The study also found that during pregnancy, first-time mother monkeys had higher levels of cortisol than did those who had had several offspring."
Write a response in which you discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation and explain how your explanation(s) can plausibly account for the facts presented in the argument.

The argument that the birth order matters in individual’s level of stimulation in a study conducted in rhesus monkey is not completely convincing. The argument has several flaws:

First, the author assumes that the stimulating situations increased twice the level of cortisol hormone in first born than other younger siblings. The argument does not clearly explain how stimulation affects the increase in cortisol in first-born. The alternative explanation would be that the younger ones are still developing and the machinery in body is not completely developed like the first-born. So, the increase in level of hormone in first-born cannot be an indicator of level of stimulation which affects birth order.

Second, there is no statistical evidence to show that the study was conducted in exact number of rhesus monkeys and the number of them showed increased levels of hormone-cortisol in first born. The alternative explanation is that the study was not conducted at each offspring at same age or no information is provided. Without any statistical evidence the argument cannot conclude that birth order has any role on an individual level of stimulation.

Finally, the argument even adds that first-time pregnant monkey had high levels of cortisol than who had many offspring. The alternative explanation is that the first-time pregnant monkey may be more responsive while the monkey with many offspring is not much responsive to such stimulation. The evidence that first-time pregnant monkey having an increase in cortisol cannot explain the birth order on an individual’s level of stimulation.

Thus, the argument fails to address clearly how birth order affects individual’s level of stimulation and provides no statistical evidence to show the increase in level of cortisol and also, the first-time mother monkey had high levels of hormone than other mothers with many offspring’s. The argument can be better explained first, if the mechanism involved in connection with stimulation and increase in hormone and the place where hormone is produced is well developed in all offspring’s. Second, if the details of the number of monkeys and the conditions used to stimulate are explained and finally the first-pregnant monkey had similar responses to other hormones as well. However, the argument in current state is flawed.

Actually there are no flaws for this topic.

Read this link to know more about new GRE:
http://www.testbig.com/question/gre-issue-essay-questions-new-gre-issue…

The goal of the statement is to prove:

The birth order can affect an individual's levels of stimulation.

Then it gives three assumptions:

(1) In stimulating situations (such as an encounter with an unfamiliar monkey), firstborn infant monkeys produce up to twice as much of the hormone cortisol, which primes the body for increased activity levels, as do their younger siblings;

(2) Firstborn humans also produce relatively high levels of cortisol in stimulating situations (such as the return of a parent after an absence).

(3) The study also found that during pregnancy, first-time mother monkeys had higher levels of cortisol than did those who had had several offspring."

So the alternative explanations could be:

1. Maybe not because of the birth order, but because first born infant monkeys,first-time mother monkeys,and firstborn humans all belong to same biological species - primates.

2. The age difference can play a major role. Maybe different siblings produce different amounts of hormone cortisol.

3. Maybe it is related to particular situations because the conditions are like: meeting with an unfamiliar monkey, reunion with a parent after an absence, and first-time birth of baby monkeys.