Fifteen years ago, Omega University implemented a new procedure that encouraged students to evaluate the teaching effectiveness of all their professors. Since that time, Omega professors have begun to assign higher grades in their classes, and overall st

Fifteen years ago, Omega University implemented a new procedure that encouraged students to evaluate the teaching effectiveness of all their professors. Since that time, Omega professors have begun to assign higher grades in their classes, and overall student grade averages at Omega have risen by 30 percent. Potential employers, looking at this dramatic rise in grades, believe that grades at Omega are inflated and do not accurately reflect student achievement; as a result, Omega graduates have not been as successful at getting jobs as have graduates from nearby Alpha University. To enable its graduates to secure better jobs, Omega University should terminate student evaluation of professors.

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The originator of an argument avers that in order to make students of Omega University more attractive for employers, the policy which encourage students to evaluate educators’ efficiency ought to be canceled. The statement is based on evidence which should be carefully scrutinized in order to give a comprehensive estimation of the soundness of the argument.

To begin with, we are told that after the policy was implemented the students' average has enhanced dramatically by 30 percent. However, there is no evidence that the policy caused the change, perhaps, some other unstated factors positively affect on students’ academic performance. For instance, Omega University might hire new, more qualified professors, or it purchased novel equipment which alleviates significantly educational process. Moreover, the probability exists that since the policy was fulfilled the university started to attract students who are more clever and educated. In other words, the improvement in students' average may not be caused by the policy.

Secondly, it is believed that because of the rise in students' average, the Omega alumnae are less successful at getting jobs than graduate students from Alpha University. However, this evidence is weak as well because the two universities may dramatically differ from each other in many aspects and those distinctions, probably, make the Alpha's students more attractive. For instance, students in Omega University may pursue qualifications in fields where little available workplaces and it is difficult to find a job such as musician or actor. By contrast, Alpha University may give its students highly popular professions such as programmer and economist. Consequently, there is no guarantee that Omega's students hardships are caused by the policy.

Finally, even if we accept that the reason of the students’ problems is the policy the fifteen years span is significant and perhaps everything has changed since then. In other words, it is highly questionable to blame the old policy in today's problem. Even if the policy were the root of the problem fifteen years ago, perhaps, today the real cause of problem has changed. For instance, students from Omega University have a bad reputation among the employers. As a result, the writer's proposal to cancel the policy may not bring desirable result.

In conclusion, although the author of the argument tends to accuse the policy of the students' hardships, in reality, the evidence used by the writer is weak and infirm, as a result, other, unstated reasons may lead to problems and therefore the implementation of the policy may not address the real causes and consequently, it may not bring expected results.

----------------

----------------