The following appeared as a letter to the editor from a Central Plaza store owner."Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central

The following appeared as a letter to the editor from a Central Plaza store owner.

"Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central Plaza store owners believe that the decrease in their business is due to the number of skateboard users in the plaza. There has also been a dramatic increase in the amount of litter and vandalism throughout the plaza. Thus, we recommend that the city prohibit skateboarding in Central Plaza. If skateboarding is prohibited here, we predict that business in Central Plaza will return to its previously high levels."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The author avouches that the decrease in the business in the central plaza is because of the skateboard users. However, the correlation drawn between the sales/business and the number of skateboarders is not justified. The author fails to make a cogent argument and while the fact that a plaza or a marketplace is not the right place for skateboarding, the reasons for the downfall of business do not support the argument.

Firstly, the author falsely ascertains that the owners are suffering losses due to the skateboard users. This seems to be a fallacious statement. Since, the author has taken into consideration the last two years, the loss in business can be attributed to a number of factors such as, quality of goods being sold, price hike and value added taxes and also new competitors in the market. Also, there is lack of data or evidence, as to how many storekeepers hold the skateboard users responsible.

Secondly, the author complains of litter and vandalism throughout the plaza. However, the question here arises is whether one can hold only the skateboard users responsible for littering and vandalizing and why not the shoppers or children visiting the plaza? Are there any witnesses like Closed Circuit Television or the shoppers themselves, complaining and blaming the skateboard users of littering. It would be fatuous to hold anybody accountable for the untidiness and sabotaging the property on false grounds or assumptions.If tidiness is a matter of concern, Why isn't the maintenance department of central plaza being held responsible of failing in it's duties of maintaining hygiene as one of it's duties?

Thus, the argument is inconclusive and there is no assurance if the anticipated cover up of the losses can be made if the skateboarding is curbed. It is merely based on assumptions and predictions rather than substantiated evidences that throw light on decline in the economy and trade of the stores in the central plaza. Without solid evidence, one cannot lay the blame on or deter the skateboard users of their pursuit as the cause of vandalism or loss in trade.