The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Alta Manufacturing."During the past year, Alta Manufacturing had thirty percent more on-the-job accidents than nearby Panoply Industries, where the work shifts are one hour shorter than ours. Exper

The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Alta Manufacturing.

"During the past year, Alta Manufacturing had thirty percent more on-the-job accidents than nearby Panoply Industries, where the work shifts are one hour shorter than ours. Experts believe that a significant contributing factor in many accidents is fatigue caused by sleep deprivation among workers. Therefore, to reduce the number of on-the-job accidents at Alta, we recommend shortening each of our three work shifts by one hour. If we do this, our employees will get adequate amounts of sleep."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

In order to reduce number of on-the-job accidents, the vice president of Alta Manufacturing recommends shortening work shifts by one hour. In this case, all employees will inevitably have adequate rest and thus the number of accidents should fall. This conclusion is buttressed by evidence which should be questioned in order to give a comprehensive estimation of the soundness of the argument.

First of all, we are told that employees of Panoply Industries (PI) have shorter shifts. However, is it only possible factor which may lead to the low level of on-the-job accidents? Perhaps PI has promoted norms of safety or created better work conditions. In this case, these unstated factors may cause the positive statistic. Consequently, the arrogant author's assumption that the length of shifts is the main reason of low rate of injuries is not warranted.

Furthermore, even if the author's belief is correct and the length of shifts is the cause of the lower number of accidents. Perhaps these two farms are not equal and the problems which lead to on-the-job accidents in Alta Manufacturing (AM) is not the same as one for PI. For instance, AM may be a company which is specialized on slaughtering cattle. In this case, AM's staff is working with sharp objects and dangerous equipment, this may be a factor which caused the higher level of injuries at work. Thus, if the major causes of the injuries at work are not the same for two firms, implementation of policy which were successful in one firm will not bring expected result in the second company.

Additionally to it, the argument claims that fulfillment of the policy will unescapably lead to improvement of the AM's statistic. However, if the two firms have the same major reason of on-the-job accidents and it is lack of sleep, the proposed policy may not bring the desirable result. For instance, If AM's worker has a young child who is ill, and thus the baby is crying and does not allow the parent to have adequate rest, the alteration will not cure the child and therefore, the worker will be suffer from lack of sleep. Moreover, some workers may have medical conditions which do not allow them to sleep well, this illness will not be alleviated by shorter shift as well. This two examples illustrate that a mere shortening of work shifts may not lead to enhancement in the on-the-job accidents due to the fact that it may not tackle the root of the problem.

In conclusion, the author of the argument avers that shortening of work shifts will lead to improvement of sleep of the AM's employees and as a consequence, to improvement in on-the-job accidents. However, the given by the author evidence has failed to prove that the alteration will address the root of the problem and thus it may not lead to supposed result.

is it only possible factor
is it the only possible factor

will unescapably lead to improvement of the AM's statistic.
will inescapably lead to the improvement of AM's statistic.

may not lead to enhancement
may not lead to the enhancement

work shifts will lead to improvement
work shifts will lead to the improvement

Sentence: Additionally to it, the argument claims that fulfillment of the policy will unescapably lead to improvement of the AM's statistic.
Error: unescapably Suggestion: inescapably

----------------

argument 3 -- not exactly. The two examples may happen in Panoply too.
----------------

----------------