The following editorial appeared in the Broomall County Times-Picayune:"The Gordon Act, which established a wildlife refuge in the Big Dark Swamp, is currently up for reauthorization. The act prohibits the building of roads or cutting of old growth trees

The following editorial appeared in the Broomall County Times-Picayune:

"The Gordon Act, which established a wildlife refuge in the Big Dark Swamp, is currently up for reauthorization. The act prohibits the building of roads or cutting of old growth trees in the swamp, though it permits hunting. Many blamed logging activities for the decline of the bird population, especially that of the dappled grackle. The grackle population has continued to decline since the passage of the law, demonstrating that the Gordon Act has not been sufficient to protect the species. Another nearby refuge, the Wayne County Marsh Habitat, bans all mining, logging, and hunting. Wayne County officials have not reported a decline in the grackle population there. This proves that hunting, not logging, was responsible for the population drop in Broomall County. Thus, Broomall County should not reauthorize the Gordon Act unless it is amended to include the same provisions as those in Wayne County."

Broomall Country should not reauthorize the Gordon Act unless and until it includes effective amendments. But, all the amendments need not necessarily be analogous to those in Wanye Country. However, the following assumptions have been ignored. All the should be taken into consideration before making changes to the act.

The initial act permits hunting but prohibits building of roads or cutting of old trees in the swamp. And this in turn has affected the bird population, particularly the dappled grackel. It is mentioned that there has been a stead decline of grackel's population sincce the law came into effect. But the author does not mention the population of this specie in numbers. An approximate statics should have been provided on number of grackels that was living in the swamp initially and the current population of it. If the author has provided the required estimates in the article, and if it matches with what the author says, then the act can be blamed.

Next,the author has made a comparison with the nearby refuge,Wayne County Marsh Habitat that has banned various activities such as mining, logging and hunting. And according the Wayne County officials, the grackel's population was not affected. But the author fails to notice one important thing here. So the author has concluded that hunting was responsible for population drop in Broomall Country. Even though author can be correct to some extent because the Gordon Act does not ban hunting, but the should look into all aspects before concluding. What if the climatic conditions has resulted in the decrease of grackel's population? Changes in climatic conditions affects all kind of species. So the author should consider all such factors before concluding that hunting is the sole reason for the decline.

Also, what holds good for Wayne County does not necessarily hold good for Broomall Country. As mentioned earlier, the climatic conditions of Wayne might be completely different from that of Broomall. Therefore, it is totally absurd to amend the provisions of Gordon Act with respect to those in Wayne County. Instead, a proper analysis can be made, taking all the above assumptions into consideration and accordingly changes can be made for a more effective act.