The following is a letter to the editor of the Waymarsh Times."Traffic here in Waymarsh is becoming a problem. Although just three years ago a state traffic survey showed that the typical driving commuter took 20 minutes to get to work, the commute now ta

The following is a letter to the editor of the Waymarsh Times.

"Traffic here in Waymarsh is becoming a problem. Although just three years ago a state traffic survey showed that the typical driving commuter took 20 minutes to get to work, the commute now takes closer to 40 minutes, according to the survey just completed. Members of the town council already have suggested more road building to address the problem, but as well as being expensive; the new construction will surely disrupt some of our residential neighborhoods. It would be better to follow the example of the nearby city of Garnville. Last year Garnville implemented a policy that rewards people who share rides to work, giving them coupons for free gas. Pollution levels in Garnville have dropped since the policy was implemented, and people from Garnville tell me that commuting times have fallen considerably. There is no reason why a policy like Garnville’s shouldn't work equally well in Waymarsh."

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

In the argument the author inadvertently compares to different cities in terms of their traffic situation. Furthermore, he gives certain time references to state his point. Let's look deeply into this. The author, through this argument implies to implement the Garnville's transport policies in Waymarsh city, in order to solve the traffic problem. The remedy stated by author raises certain doubts on success of the copying the traffic policies in the Waymarsh.

In the very beginning, author compares current traffic scenario in Waymarsh with traffic scenario 3 years ago; stating that the current time to travel to the offices has been doubled. But, the author does not provides any specific information regarding the increase in the population of Waymarsh in last 3 years. The author does not give any idea regarding contention of roads in the city due to constructions. What if more people have bought their individual cars in the last 3 years? What if the city has offered more jobs in previous last 3 years, so that people from other states have travelled to Waymarsh for habitat, leading towards increase in daily traffic?

Furthermore, author gives reference of survey which again casts a doubt on the average time needed to travel to workplace. Survey may comprise of the only a few people which cannot be considered as reliable source. The people participating in survey may be travelling over the route only once a week or month, we simply never know. The author does not specify whether the traffic scenario is related to the specific road or the whole city. So on the basis of above two paragraphs we can say that, author’s view raises certain fallacies.

Furthermore, author suggests implementing the remedies as implemented in the Garnville. Again, author fails to give any significant analysis, which can ensure that the both cities has the same road infrastructure, public transport facilities and the leaving standards of the people. The people in the Waymarsh may be very wealthy and prefer travelling into their personal luxurious cars, and won't use public transport or carpooling at all. May be they are very reach and won't need any free gas passes.

The author states the advantage of traffic policy in the Garnville that, it has helped to reduce the traffic time significantly. Again this is very vague comparison. What if in order to travel 5 miles, it needs half an hour? It is still very long time. So, considering these many fact, this looks less feasible that, the Waymarsh can adopt Garnville’s policies.

In order to claim that, Waymarsh can follow Garnville's traffic policies we need more strong data. Then and then only implimenting a policy can be taken into account, with further investigations.