Nature's Way, a chain of stores selling health food and other health-related products, is opening its next franchise in the town of Plainsville. The store should prove to be very successful: Nature's Way franchises tend to be most profitable in areas wher

Nature's Way, a chain of stores selling health food and other health-related products, is opening its next franchise in the town of Plainsville. The store should prove to be very successful: Nature's Way franchises tend to be most profitable in areas where residents lead healthy lives, and clearly Plainsville is such an area. Plainsville merchants report that sales of running shoes and exercise clothing are at all-time highs. The local health club has more members than ever, and the weight training and aerobics classes are always full. Finally, Plainsville's schoolchildren represent a new generation of potential customers: these schoolchildren are required to participate in a fitness-for-life program, which emphasizes the benefits of regular exercise at an early age.

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The author of the argument asserts that a new franchise in Plainsville will be highly lucrative due to the fact that local residents tend to lead a healthy life-style. This conclusion is buttressed by several evidences which are connected with the conclusion by unstated assumptions which should be carefully scrutinized in order to gauge the soundness of the argument.

To prove that local residents lead healthy lives the author gives us data that town's merchants report the highest sales of running shoes and clothes for exercising. However, does the act of buying a sport equeipment mean that people adhere to a healthy life-style? Perhaps they buy sport clothes because they are convenient for everyday usage. In this case, bought clothes may be used for gardening, working or watching TV. In other words, the originator's assumption that people who bought clothes will engage in sport activity is not warranted.

The second evidence which is given to us is that the local health club has more members than ever and the classes are always full. However, a large number of members does not automatically mean that these people will do sport activity. Probably many of these members buy the memberships and do not use it or they may be gifted membership in the sport club by friends or relatives. In other words, we do not know how many of the member actually visit the club to be engaged in sport. Additionally to it we were told that aerobics and weight training classes are always full. At the same time, it is possible that these members do not adhere to healthy life style. For instance, people who visit aerobics classes may eat unhealthy food and then go to the club to exercise.

The third evidence is that local schools require from students to perticipate in a fitness-for-life program which is aimed on creating healthy habits. Despite the fact that author believes that the program will be effective, we have no evidence which supports this assumption. In fact, children may have a protest oppose the compulsory education which forces them to lead more healthy lives. Thus, the author's assumption that the program will inevitably lead to healthier new generation is unwarranted.

In conclusion, the author's claim that local residents lead more healthy lives is unwarranted due to the fact that all given evidences are based on faulse assumptions. Thus, the prediction that the store will be profitable is unreasonable.

Sentence: However, does the act of buying a sport equeipment mean that people adhere to a healthy life-style?
Error: equeipment Suggestion: equipment

Sentence: The third evidence is that local schools require from students to perticipate in a fitness-for-life program which is aimed on creating healthy habits.
Error: perticipate Suggestion: participate

Sentence: In conclusion, the author's claim that local residents lead more healthy lives is unwarranted due to the fact that all given evidences are based on faulse assumptions.
Error: faulse Suggestion: false

The three arguments have same problems: it is not for healthier life, but whether people will buy health food and other health-related products from the store.

--------------------