Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument An ancient traditional remedy for sleep disorder the scent of chamomile flowers has now be

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

An ancient, traditional remedy for sleep disorder — the scent of chamomile flowers — has now been proven effective. In a recent study, 40 volunteers with chronic sleep disorders slept each night for three weeks on chamomile-scented cushions in a controlled room where their sleep was monitored electronically. During the first week, volunteers continued to take their usual sleeping medication. They slept soundly but felt tired the next morning. In the second week, the volunteers discontinued their sleep medication. During that week, they slept less soundly than the previous week and felt even more tired. During the third week, the volunteers slept longer and more deeply than in the previous two weeks. Therefore, the study proves that chamomile cures sleep disorders within a few short weeks.

AWM

Appointment 1 | View Essay

Argument Essay

Difficulty Level: Hard

Essay

A study was conducted recently, to prove the ancient, traditional therapy for sleep disorders - the scent of chamomile flowers is effective. The study was conducted on 40 volunteers with chronic sleep disorders for 3 weeks on chamomile scented cushions in a controlled room where their sleep was monitored electronically. The author states the results of the three weeks in a comparative manner and therefore, concludes that this study proves that chamomile cures sleep disorders within a few short weeks. However, there is some specific evidence that is missing from the above-mentioned prompt, and thus it would be incorrect for the author to claim the argument.

Firstly, the author states that the study to prove that chamomile cures sleep disorders was conducted recently. But we do not know how recently the study was conducted. Also, the author does not mention the ages of the volunteers-whether they were geriatric volunteers or children, or middle age people. We also do not know how many were male volunteers and female volunteers. Other than this specific evidence, another important piece of evidence that is missing is regarding as to what was the nature of the chronic sleep disorders that these volunteers had. Chronic sleep disorders could have been due to stress or any other health condition.

Secondly, the author states that the study was conducted using chamomile-scented cushions for the volunteers in a controlled environment. Here, we do not know how much chamomile was infused in the cushion or what were the conditions of the controlled room. Also, each person has varying sleep patterns. So it may have also been possible that every volunteer may have a different controlled condition. So, here it is of utmost importance to check these conditions before stating any claim.

Thirdly, the author discusses the results of the study over a period of 3 weeks. He claims that in the first week, people the volunteers took their usual sleeping medication and along with the help of chamomile scented cushions, slept soundly. But they felt a little tired the next morning. Here, we do not know the usual sleeping medication of these volunteers. Also, we do not know whether each individual volunteer had the same medication. It is also quite possible that the volunteers may have slept soundly due to the medications and not due to the cushions. So it is not possible to see the result of the effect of chamomile-scented cushions in this case.

In the second week, the volunteers discontinued their medication and it resulted in them sleeping soundly but waking up more tired than the previous week. here, we do not know whether this was due to a side effect of discontinuing the medication or purely a result of the cushions. Also, it is not mentioned anywhere about the day-to-day activities of these volunteers. Sometimes it is quite possible that a tiring day of work may cause fatigue the next morning as well.

Finally, in the third week, the author claims that the volunteers slept longer and more deeply than in the previous two weeks. To support this statement, there is no evidence as to whether the sleeping medication was continued again or not. Volunteers may have also gotten adjusted to their sleeping environment and so, they may have slept longer and more deeply.

Therefore, the author should provide the above-mentioned specific evidence that is missing in the given statement to prove the fact that, chamomile cures sleep disorders within a few short weeks. Also, it is important for any study to consider all the parameters that could influence the course of the study before making any assumptions and claims.