In any profession business, politics, education, government, those in power should step down after five years. Reason: The surest path to success for any enterprise is revitalization through new leadership.

In any profession business, politics, education, government, those in power should step down after five years.

Reason: The surest path to success for any enterprise is revitalization through new leadership.

Should we allow an effective leader to continue his tenure? Some may answer this question in affirmative. But a deeper observation me raise their qualms. Those in power should step down after a certain period of time to give chance to new ones.

The statement concludes that those in power, in any field, should step down after five years. If people refuse to relinquish their power, however effective or successful they may be, we may miss even more successful ones. There is always a possibility of having more effective leader by giving chances to new ones. For instance, if Rahul Dravid, former Indian Cricket Team captain, never gave up his captaincy we will never know how indispensable MS Dhoni, the new captain, will be. MS Dhoni even lead India to its first T20 Cricket World Cup.

There is an aphorism "Power corrupts incorruptible". This holds true if someone is given reins of power for a long time. If there is no restriction on a tenure of a leader, he may even consider himself invincible. Such a leader can exercise his power in ways that are detrimental to society. Even corruption can come into play. With impunity and no restriction, one may rather work for their betterment than for community they represent. To exemplify, considered the recent case of FIFA President Sepp Blatter. Rampant corruption, bribes for giving out football worldcup contracts etc were there under his rule. He managed to win successive presidential elections by ingratiation. Similar is also how many dictators alter the constitution after they come in power to give them self ultimate sovereign - Muammar Gaddafi in Libya, Saddam Hueisen in Iraq. These examples clearly shows how power can even corrupt almost anyone.

However, in some cases five years may seem to be a vary short span. One may not show his worth in such a short term. Also there may be cases where election costs every few years are not justifiable. But still in those cases proper measures should be taken to check incumbent officers. They should not be allowed to flout rules and play with constitution.

In sum, those in power must forfeit their position and allow new leadership to take rein of power. They must be answerable to the populace the represent. The tenure of leadership, however, can be different in different fields. And elections held should also be fair.