Claim: Even though young people often receive the advice to “follow your dreams,” more emphasis should be placed on picking worthy goals.Reason: Many people’s dreams are inherently selfish.

Claim: Even though young people often receive the advice to “follow your dreams,” more emphasis should be placed on picking worthy goals.

Reason: Many people’s dreams are inherently selfish.

A person without dreams is as good as a person sleeping with eyes wide open. This statement clearly marks my disagreement with the claim and the reason provided behind it. The major flaws can be divided mainly under two reasons. Firstly, we cannot simply decide what is a worthy goal for any person because capability has no measure and secondly dreams are one's desire and picture of what one imagine his/her life would be. Thus there is no point of overshadowing one's own desire for himself/herself with the notion of "selfish" dreams.

The real world is full of ambitious dreamers who have actually turned fate into their direction. They have been able to bend the impossible to the state of not only possibility but now being a dream of a million others inspired in the process .It does not take much effort to go back into the life of a few like Steve Jobbs , Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates. While there are many others in the list but these few are so famous that even a 10 year kid would know a brief account of their endeavours. The obviously thought more than " worthy goals" and today with the realisation of their dreams , are employing thousands of people .While they were not at the apotheosis of their field , they were as normal as any human being .If they were not motivated and aimed at mere low hanging fruits , they would have never been to change the way world operates.

It is true that not every one can be as successful as those few but who can explicitly claim that any person in question today wont be successful in the future.If in the budding period only these growing success stories of the world would be qualified in their ambitions and dreams then it is equivalent to a murder of another great human who would have changed the world.

While the reason stated is pointing out people's dream as selfish , I would rather say nobody is born enlightened to do welfare. It is only after they reach to the zenith they realize their role towards the community. Several examples can be cited of aforementioned personalities donating every single penny to charity in service of the community .Dreams cannot be considered selfish because a person would always dream of his desire of what he wants to look like .Generalising the notion of selfishness and making it a prime reason to curb dreams before they even come into the minds is a qualification of one's talent and capability .While humans have continually proven their ability to push beyond the normal.

To sum it up , the claim presented is flawed for its short sightedness and the reason given is based on a generalisation of a phenomena which is observed in a few. So it cannot be a true reason for the given claim.