Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure

Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

Should universities require student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study? The university education requires a student to choose a particular field of study to concentrate upon applying; nevertheless, the curriculum still requires students to take minor courses. People pose different stands regarding the issue. Some people say that it is mandatory for college students to take courses outside their field of study; however, I disagree with such opinion because the main purpose of education in university is to produce productive and competitive workers.

Of course, the importance of attending minor courses in addition to the major courses cannot be undermined. Studying the minor subjects provides students an opportunity to broaden and deepen their knowledge. In this way, the students not only become more knowledgeable, but also become aware of those fields that his expertise could be applied. In another words, it aids students to maximize their skills by applying it to various fields. In this sense, the curriculum requiring students to take variety courses even outside their major field of study is justified to a certain extent.

However, as mentioned earlier, the main purpose of university education is to train and produce productive workers; hence, the students have to be provided an environment where they could fully immerse themselves in particular field of study. Otherwise, it would cause a distraction to a student's study. For example, the great amount of work load in minor subjects that tantamount to the major course's work load causes stress. Unlike the stress free students, they are more likely to productive and efficient in their studies. The minor courses are merely conducive to the student’s learning. This clearly demonstrates how the minor courses affect the students in a bad way.

Furthermore, the student's would have to spend ample amount of time for the field that is not even one's discipline. Suppose a student in engineering school who were assigned with many projects were also given a lot of projects in minor courses. If so, the time that is supposed to be spent for the course works have to be allocated to minor subjects. In this case, having minor courses neither deepen nor widen the knowledge of the students; it engenders a problem of insufficient time. Thus, in order to give students enough time to be fully engaged in their field of study, the minor courses should be avoided as much as possible.

Broadening knowledge is always appreciated; yet, it should not be done in the expense of learning in the student's field of study. As mentioned above, the curriculum requiring students to take courses outside their field of study distracts students from fully focusing on their major studies. In this sense, the university should let students focus on their own discipline. Therefore, I disagree with the given statement.