The chart below shows the total number of minutes in billion of telephone calls in the UK divided into three categories from 1995 2002

A glance at the bar chart provided reveals the total time spent by UK residents on three different types of telephone calls, over an eight-year period between 1995 and 2002.

Local fixed line was the highest throughout the period, rising from more than 70 billions in 1995 to just under 90 billions in 1998. After reaching a peak in the following year, this type of call had dropped substantially to 2002.

National and international fixed line call grew steadily from nearly 40 billions to over 60 billions at the end of the period, although these calls grew slowly over the last two years.

There was a considerable increase in mobile calls from 3 billions to 46 billions. This rise was remarkable between 1999 and 2002. During this time, the figure tripled.

To sum up, even though local fixed line was the most popular, the gap between the three categories has narrowed dramatically over the second half of the period.