The diagrams below contain information regarding percentages of people occupied in various types of position in 1998 and 2001 Write a report for a university tutor describing the information shown

The diagrams below contain information regarding percentages of people occupied in various types of position in 1998 and 2001.

Write a report for a university tutor describing the information shown.

The two charts describe the number of people in various types of employment (casual, unemployed, full time job, part-time job, self-employed and contract) in 1998 and 2001. It is clear that the majority of people held a full time position in both 1998 and 2001.

In 1998 full time workers were the largest group (at 37%), followed by people working part-time jobs (27%), self-employed (19%) and contract workers (12%). Casual labourers and the unemployed made up only 3% and 2% of the workforce, respectively.

In 2001, although full time position holders were still the majority, their proportion dropped to 28% and that of part-time workers – to 20%. The proportion of self-employed remained at 19%, but the number of contract workers’ noticeably increased to 18%. Another significant increase was in the proportion of unemployed, which grew more than threefold to 7% in 2001. Casual workers’ share seemed to stay unchanged at 3%, making them the smallest group in the workforce.

Overall, the charts demonstrate a trend of people leaving full-time employment and the growing unemployment.