The first chart below shows how energy is used in an average Australian household The second chart shows the greenhouse gas emissions which result from this energy

The first chart below shows how energy is used in an average Australian household. The second chart shows the greenhouse gas emissions which result from this energy.

The diagrams depict information regarding Australian domestic energy consumption and its resultant greenhouse gas emissions. Overall, heating is the largest driver of energy bills and cooling consumes energy the least. Moreover, water heating is the most emissions-intensive household emitter while cooling creates insignificantly greenhouse gas in Australian families.

In respect to household energy use, heating accounts for approximately two-fifths, at 42%, while the lesser contributors are water heating and other appliances, with 30% and 15% respectively. Additionally, the figure for refrigeration is 7% while that for lighting is 4%, which is two times higher than the proportion of cooling.

Regarding greenhouse gas emitted from Australian domestic appliances, water heating is the leading culprit, occupying approximately one-third, followed by 28% of other appliances, which exactly is double the figure for refrigeration, at 14%. In addition, heating emits 15% of Australian greenhouse gas emissions while cooling and lighting are insignificant emitters, with 3% and 8% accordingly.