For many employers formal academic qualifications are becoming more important than experience Why is this a negative trend

For many employers, formal academic qualifications are becoming more important than experience. Why is this a negative trend?

It is understandable why in today's society, recruiting employees with degrees is considered to be disadvantageous to companies. Although degrees and certificates are reliable indicators of whether that person fits the position, such qualifications might not prove graduates’ abilities to handle difficult situations, unpredictable clients. This could lead to a decrease in productivity and loss of resources of companies used to retrain new employees lacking experience, flexibility and acumen. According to a study by Curtin University, the exam-centric education system tends to focus solely on passing examinations , which could be negative in the sense that many students might try to gain more qualifications at the expense of hands-on experience. Therefore, employers should also take not only the number of degrees candidates have but also their pragmatic experience into account during the recruitment process.