Some people believe that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishment.

Some people believe that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishment. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

The world has experienced significant rise in crime in the recent years and there has been a strong debate on whether there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime or other factors such as circumstances and the motivation for committing crime should also be taken into account when deciding on the punishment. In this essay, both sides of the argument will be discussed.

One of the main reasons why people argue that there should be fixed punishments is that it is only the fair system of providing punishment. If there are variation in the punishment for same kinds of crime, a kind of distrust could be developed among people towards the government and judiciary system. Moreover, the family members or relatives of the criminal will not be satisfied, if harsh punishment is given to him and lenient punishment is given to someone else for similar crime and this could finally result in revolt towards the judiciary system. Thus, it is clear why some people opine for the fixed punishments.

On the other hand, it can also be argued that while deciding punishment other factors like circumstances of an individual crime and the motivation for committing it should also be taken into account and the main reason for this argument is that due to the above mentioned factors the crimes which look similar are in fact are significantly different to each other. For example, murdering for the motive of money and murdering for the self protection are apparently similar type of felonies of murder but in reality they are immensely different and if same punishment is given to these crimes, it doesn't seem fair. Therefore, the circumstances and motivation should also be taken into account while deciding on the punishment.

In conclusion, the reasons for the fixed punishment for each type of crime don't seem convincing for me and the fair judiciary system is that factors like circumstances and motivation should always be taken into account before giving any punishment for the crime.