Do you agree or disagree with the statement There is nothing that young people can teach older people Why Why not

Do you agree or disagree with the statement, “There is nothing that young people can teach older people” ? Why/ Why not?

The world is becoming more and more developed year after year. As a result, the generation gap between young people and older people is also becoming bigger and bigger. There are a lot of things that make the young and the old need a discussion to have a better understanding of each other’s lifestyle. I believe that there are some things that young people can teach older people.

First of all, technology appears like a shine in the world which makes the world smaller in people’s hands. However, older people may not know all about the new technology. Therefore, they need the help of the youth in order to support them with instruction for use. Most of the old cannot use modern devices like smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc. to approach the news around the world because they do not know how to keyboard the word, how to enter the sentence, or even how to turn on and use the applications on the device. This is the reason the youth should guide the elderly to take advantage of new technological devices and to have better usage.

Another problem is that old people have ancient opinions about gender and marriage. The opponent of this viewpoint says that the youth are too young and do not have plenty of life experiences to teach the elderly. While that may be the case, it should be noted that teaching the older does not mean the young know more things than the old or do not follow their useful footsteps. Nowadays, people are more comfortable than in the past, so same-sex marriage and LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) are accepted in some countries. Though, some elderly cannot accept it as a normal thing. What is more, they may consider that LGBT people are unusual and should be rejected. The young should tell the old about this to make them more open-minded and provide them a more positive viewpoint for LGBT.

To sum up, I do not agree with the statement that the young cannot teach the elderly. Old people need to know about the new age of the world to be not backward. What the young can do is to help the elderly know the new things and provide them with the new information as well as they can.