Group discussion

Group discussion

The professor and the author both discuss about the groups that are assembled for making decisions to solve problems or for developing ideas. The lecturer uncovers the negative effects of groups whereas reading passage depicts the advantages of groupthink.

Firstly,the passage claims that team of individuals put their effort to find the superior decisions and take deep approach to solve the problems. To contrast, the professor states that their decisions are invulnerable and the groups are not as smart as an individual can be. He explains this by giving example of criminals, how they escape from the police easily.

Secondly, the lecturer refutes the point of reading passage that groups share their knowledge and information to come to on relevant solution. They include their skills, interest and background knowledge. The professor says that, these kinds of solutions are very rational and sometimes unsatisfactory. Because moslty ideas of others are ignored by management.

Finally, the reading passage depicts that group discussion abets feeling of motivation as they provide various brainstorming activities. But the lecturer contrasts this point by saying that groups are not reassured their Ideas that lead to failure as it happened in Ford automobiles.