Sea turtle species have been under threat of extinction and use of nets by commercial shrimp fishing boats have accelerated this process. While the passage holds the opinion that the use of TEDs is not sufficient to prevent this phenomena, the lecture cast some doubts on the claims made by the author.
To begin with, the passage asserts that the number of turtles caught by each fishing boat is rather low and using TEDs will cost the shrimpers some of their catch. However, the speaker opposes this assertion by demonstrating that although the estimations show that there exists a low chance for turtles to be caught in the net, when thousands of boats go fishing the loss of overall amount of these species decrease significantly. Specially considering the fact that they are in danger of extinction. The lecturer continues to mention that the fishers only loose a low percentage of their catch which is not considered a proper reason not to use TEDs.
Furthermore, another method was suggested by the passage which was to shorten time limit for keeping nets underwater. The lecture disputes this statement by claiming that because fishers are located far in the sea, the government is unable to enforce this method. On the other hand, the use of TEDs can be ensured by checking each fisher boat.
Lastly, the passage claims that TEDs are not effective for larger turtle species which are also endangered because they cannot fit through the escape. The speaker however, refutes this claim suggesting that designing TEDs with larger escape space is not hard and it will not have an enormous effect on the number of caught shrimps.
- Integrated writing TPO 51 90
- TPO 45 independent writing taskDo you agree or disagree with the following statement In the past young people depended too much on their parents to make decisions for them today young people are better able to make decisions about their own lives Use s 70
- TPO 42 Integrated Writing Task 80
- TPO 40 integrated writing 80
- TPO 36 Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement It is better to finish a project completely and then begin another project than to work on two or more projects at the same time Use specific reasons and examples to 3
Attribute Value Ideal
Final score: 25 in 30
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 3 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 11 12
No. of Words: 276 250
No. of Characters: 1335 1200
No. of Different Words: 149 150
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.076 4.2
Average Word Length: 4.837 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.427 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 102 80
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 71 60
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 33 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 26 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 25.091 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 8.262 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.636 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.366 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.611 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.047 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 4 4