TPO 44 Integrated Writing

TPO 44 Integrated Writing

Whether the silver coin found in maine is fake is a point of contention between the writer and the professor. In writing, three arguments have been elaborated, including the great distance from the norse settlement, no other coins found, and its uselessness. The professor, however, claims that all such assumptions are incorrect.

As opposed to the writer's idea that maine is far from the norse settlement, the professor states that native americans could travel long distances and bring objects back to maine. she advances the theory by saying that other objects were found from far-away places because the native americans were likely to travel over distances within north america; as a result, they were able to reach norse settlements and bring coins back to maine.

The professor continues to discredit the writing's assertion that no other coins existed in the norse settlements by examining the fact that the norse could have brought the coins to north america and then taken them back to europe. In detail, she points out that as the norse did not establish a permanent settlement in north america, they might have originally brought silver coins and then taken coins back to europe when they were packing their possessions for the return voyage.

It is the professor's third argument that silver coins were of no use to the norse in north america, which contradicts the writer's view that the norse could use the coins to trade with native americans. To explore deeper, the professor contends that native americans were obsessed with the coin's beauty and might utilize coins in making necklaces and other types of jewelry; consequently, the norse could trade the coins with native americans.

An apparent divide exists between the writer and the professor on the authenticity of the silver coin found in maine.