TPO 49 Integrated writing

The passage talks about how humpback whales migrate long distances. While the reading believes these whales are able to do that using star navigation, the lecturer disapproves by stating there are not enough evidence to support this fact.

Firstly, the passage claims that star navigation is a sign of whale's intelligence. Although, the lecture disputes this opinion by giving an example of a duck using the same technique. Stating that this skill can be an instinctive behavior rather than a sign for a brain complexity.

In addition, the passage brings this idea that whales rely on night stars as an external object to migrate in a straight line. However, the lecturer refutes this idea claiming that these animals have a biomagnetite which helps them sense earth magnetic field. Orienting themselves using this phenomenon.

Lastly, the passage thinks that one explanation for whale's spy-hopping is giving them chance to observe stars. Providing them with adequate information for navigation. The speaking however, states that although this behaviour is rare, it is done by sharks. Only that the sharks do it for hunting not star gazing. Also, whales tend to do it during the day as well when there are no stars to observe.

To sum up, the lecturer disagrees with the explanations which are claimed in the passage giving several reasons and evidence.

better to have 4 paragraphs:
para 1: introduction
para 2: doubt 1
para 3: doubt 2
para 4: doubt 3