TPO12 integrated test

TPO12 integrated test

The reading and the lecture are both about ethanol fuel, which is a type of fuel made from plants like corn. The writer believes that they can use it as an alternative to gasoline in the United States. On the other hand, the lecturer casts doubt on the claims made in the article. He thinks using ethanol does not have any problem.

First, the author claims that ethanol fuel like gasoline can cause global warming because when ethanol fuel burns, it will release carbon dioxide into the air which is an important element in global warming. This point is challenged by the lecturer. He argues that burning ethanol fuel will release carbon dioxide but the process of providing it opposes to global warming. Ethanol comes from plants like corn. Plants absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere to use in their growing process.

Second, the writer states that using plants like corn for producing ethanol fuel will reduce the number of plants which is used for feeding animals. This claim is rebutted by the lecturer. He claims that ethanol produces from clious in plants. This element can extract from not eaten parts of plants.

Finally, the author argues that using ethanol fuels are so expensive. The United States government pays subsidies to reduce the price of ethanol now but in the case of using ethanol as an alternative to gasoline, they cannot provide these subsidies. The lercturer disagrees with this notion and states that ethanol fuel can compete on the price with gasoline because if people use ethanol fuel, the companies will provide more ethanol fuel. As a result, the price of it will drop. They estimate that its price will reduce by at least 40 percent.