TPO40 integrated

Essay topics

Both the listening and the writing discuss the possibility of maintaining a human presence on Venus. They contradict each other from the following three perspectives. The main conflict is that humans can establish a spacecraft floating in an atmosphere like 15 kilometers higher instead of landing on the surface.

First, the lecturer challenges the idea purposed by the writer that the pressure at Venus is so great that humans would be crushed if landed. Instead, he contends that the pressure high up in the sky is much lower than it is on the surface. The pressure in the sky is equal to the normal level on Earth. As a result, it is possible that humans will not be crushed on Venus.

Secondly, the professor refutes the idea advocated by the author that we need to constantly import water to Venus as there is no water on Venus' surface as well as its atmosphere. Nevertheless, he posits that compounds on Venus such as carbon dioxide and sulfuric acid can be used to make water. Therefore, there is no need for humans to import water from such a long distance.

Thirdly, the passage casts doubt on the thought illustrated in the passage that thick clouds and dense layers of carbon dioxide cause the lack of sunlight on Venus' surface. On the contrary, it indicates that the clouds above are not very thin and they can also receive the sunlight reflected by the clouds. Hence, humans can use the sunlight below clouds as well as the ones that are reflected.

In conclusion, the talk rebuts the passage on three distinct aspects regarding the possibility of maintaining humans on Venus.

better to have 4 paragraphs:
para 1: introduction
para 2: doubt 1
para 3: doubt 2
para 4: doubt 3