Good News for Movie Fans
The Student Association has just purchased a new sound system for the Old Lincoln Hall
auditorium, the place where movies on campus are currently shown. By installing the
new sound system, the Student Association hopes to attract more students to the movies
and increase ticket sales. Before making the purchase of the new equipment, the Student
Association conducted a survey on campus to see what kind of entertainment students
liked best. Going to the movies ranked number one. “Students at Northfield College love going to the movies” said the president of the Student Association, “so we decided to make what they already love even better. We’re confident that the investment into the sound system will translate into increased ticket sales.”
(Male student) I really think the Student Association made a bad decision.
(Female student) Really? Why? Don’t you like going to the movies?
(Male student) Sure I do. But this new purchase is just a waste of money.
(Female student) What do you mean? It’s supposed to sound really good.
(Male student) Yeah, well, I’m sure it does, but, in Old Lincoln Hall? I mean that
building must be 200 years old! It used to be the college gym! The acoustics are terrible.
(Female student) So you’re saying there’ll be no improvement?
(Male student) That’s right. And also, I seriously doubt that going to the movies is the
number one social activity for most students.
(Female student) Yeah, but that’s what students said.
(Male student) Well, of course that’s what they said. What else is there to do on
(Female student) What do you mean?
(Male student) I mean, there isn’t much to do on campus besides go to the movies. If
there were other forms of, uh recreation, or other social activities, you know, I don’t think
most students would have said that going to the movies was their first choice.
Question: The man expresses his opinion of the Student Association’s recent purchase. State his opinion and explain the reasons he gives for holding that opinion.
- University May Build New Student Apartments Off Campus The Department of Student Housing is considering whether to build new student housing off campus in a residential area of town Two of the major factors influencing the decision will be parking and spa 93
- Some college students choose to take courses in a variety of subject areas in orderto get a broad education. Others choose to focus on a single subject area in order tohave a deeper understanding of that area. Which approach to course selection doyou thin 90
- Question: Briefly summarize the problem the speakers are discussing. Then state which solution you would recommend. Explain the reasons for your recommendation. 90
- Student 1(female): Matt, I need your help. Student 2(male): What do you need help with? Student 1: I need to talk with my advisor about my schedule for next semester, but he hasn’t been around lately. I don’t know what to do. Student 2: Well, why don’t yo 87
- The Torch The university newspaper, The Torch, is now taking applications from students who are interested in joining the staff. There are several different positions available and experience in journalism is not required. This is the chance to get the ex 80
26 in 30
The voice is low.