Question: Briefly summarize the problem the speakers are discussing. Then state which
solution you would recommend. Explain the reasons for your recommendation.
(Female student) How’s the calculus class going? You’re doing better?
(Male student) Not really. I just can’t get the hang of it. There’re so many functions and
formulas to memorize, you know? And the final . . . It’s only a few weeks away. I’m
really worried about doing well.
(Female student) Oh . . . You know, you should go to the tutoring program and ask for
(Male student) You mean, in the Mathematics building?
(Female student) Ya. Get a tutor there. Most tutors are doctoral students in the math
program. They know what they’re talking about, and for the final test, you know, they’d
tell you what to study, how to prepare, all of that.
(Male student) I know about that program . . . but doesn’t it cost money?
(Female student) Of course. You have to register and pay by the hour . . . But they’ve
got all the answers.
(Male student) Hmm . . .
(Female student) Another option, I guess, is to form a study group with other students.
That won’t cost you any money.
(Male student) That’s a thought . . . although once I was in a study group, and it was a
big waste of time. We usually ended up talking about other stuff like what we did over
(Female student) But that was for a different class, right? I’ve actually had some pretty
good experiences with study groups. Usually students in the same class have different
strengths and weaknesses with the material . . . if they’re serious about studying, they can
really help each other out. Think about it.
- What kind of reading material, such as novels, magazines, or poetry, do you mostlike to read in your free time? Explain why you find this kind of reading materialinteresting. 95
- The Hierarchy of Needs Abraham Maslow developed the theory of the human being s Hierarchy of Needs He created a pyramid of basic human needs At the lowest level are basic survival needs such as food and shelter If a person satisfies that level then the in 90
- Some people think that books and other methods of print are slowly being replaced by the Internet, TV, and other media. Others think that there will always be a need for printed material. What do you think and why? Give examples and details in your respon 90
- Talk about an interesting tourist attraction you have been to. Describe it and say why it was interesting. 55
- Some students would prefer to live with roommates. Others would prefer to livealone. Which option would you prefer and why? 90
27 in 30