University May Build New Student Apartments Off Campus The Department of Student Housing is considering whether to build new student housing off campus in a residential area of town Two of the major factors influencing the decision will be parking and spa

Speaking topics in audio
Speaking topics in text

University May Build New Student Apartments Off Campus
The Department of Student Housing is considering whether to build new student
housing off campus in a residential area of town. Two of the major factors influencing
the decision will be parking and space. Those who support building off campus
argue that building new housing on campus would further increase the number of
cars on and around campus and consume space that could be better used for future
projects that the entire university community could benefit from. Supporters also
say that students might even have a richer college experience by being connected
to the local community and patronizing stores and other businesses in town.

Female Student
I can’t believe these plans. It just doesn’t make sense to me.
Male Student
Really? Seemed OK to me, especially the argument about the cars.
Female Student
Yeah, I know. But the thing is, it doesn’t matter where students live ‘cuz they still hafta
get to class somehow, right? At least if they built new dorms on campus, students
would use campus transportation [cut off by Male Student] . . .

Male Student
[interrupting as lightbulb goes off] . . . instead of their cars. I see what you’re getting
at. If they live off campus, they’re still gonna hafta drive and park on campus, might
even create more traffic.
Female Student
Exactly.
Male Student
OK. Still, though. The point about students interacting more with people in the community
. . . that doesn’t seem to be a bad thing, does it?
Female Student
But the more time spent off campus, in town, the less time spent on campus. What
about all the clubs, shows, discussions, a—all the campus happenings that just kind of
. . . happen? It’s important to be on campus to really take advantage of these things.
Having a different living experience shouldn’t be given up at the expense of not being
as much a part of the university community.

Question--> The woman expresses her opinion of the university’s plan. State her opinion and explain
the reasons she gives for holding that opinion.

Speaking recording
Speaking category