The following appeared in a memo from the chairperson of the school board in the town of Saluda.“For the past five years, Mr.Charles Schade has been the music director at Steel City High School, and during that time the school band from Steel City High wo

In this letter, the chairperson of the school board in the town of Saluda recommends that in order to plane and direct the general music education programs for the entire Saluda school system should hire Mr. Charles Schade. To support this recommendation the chairperson points out that in the five years since Steel City High School board has hired Mr. Schade as a music director, the school band has won three regional band competitions, and has improved the quality of the music rehearsal facilities and musical instruments markedly. This argument rests on a series of unsubstantiated assumptions, and is therefore unpersuasive as it stands.

A threshold assumption upon which the recommendation relies is that Mr. Schade has caused exclusively the Steel City High won the regional band competitions. The letter fails to substantiate this assumption. It is possible that Steel City High School's students were talented or industrious or maybe the families have forced their students to study with more efforts, and actually these achievements are not because of Mr. Schade's course of action.

Another problem with the argument is that the author assumes that the enhancement in quality of the music rehearsal facilities and music instruments are due to Mr. Schade's activities during this period. However, there is no evidence to prove the truth of this assumption. Maybe, the state has dedicated financial resources to music-related activities. Accordingly, all the schools can equip music facilities.

Even assuming that Mr. Schade has caused such improvements to Steel City High School, the writer assumes that Saluda school is identical to Steel City High School in all respects. Although, there is no evidence to definitely prove that this is true. Maybe, the students in Steel City High School were more interested in music activities but the students in Saluda school prefer to participate in scientific programs.

In conclusion, to persuade me that Saluda school board should hired Mr. Schade to manage all the music plans the letter must supply clear evidence that Mr. Schade was responsible for improving of the Steel City High School and not some other factors. The author must also provide evidence that other factors affecting Steel City High School successes in the two schools are otherwise essentially the same.

----------------