The following appeared as part of an article in a weekly newsmagazine:“The country of Oleum can best solve the problem of its balance of trade deficit by further increasing the tax on itsmajor import, crude oil. After Oleum increased the tax on imported c

The following appeared as part of an article in a weekly newsmagazine:
“The country of Oleum can best solve the problem of its balance of trade deficit by further increasing the tax on its
major import, crude oil. After Oleum increased the tax on imported crude oil four months ago, consumption of
gasoline declined by 20 percent. Therefore, by imposing a second and significantly higher tax increase next year,
Oleum will dramatically decrease its balance of trade deficit.”
Discuss how well reasoned . . . etc.

the author avers that Oleum will decrease its balance of trade deficit by imposing higher tax increase next year. To support this assertion the author states that last year in oleum, consumption of gasoline declined by 20 percent when tax on its import increased . the argument if full of flaws and is open to a lot of question since it provides meager assertion and dubious assumptions.

First the author failed to take into account the impact of using less crude oil. It might be possible that less usage of oil will affect the overall export. Since oil prices have risen, the total overall export also experienced a sharp decline. if export are reduced by the same rate by which import increased then trade deficit will continue to be high.

Second the author states that increasing the tax on the major import is the oly reason to solve the problem of trade deficit.the author does not provide any evidences to support this assertion. It could be that demand of export items have declined due to inferior quality and high cost. So by improving the quality and reducing the export duties it can solve the problem of trade deficit. if so then it will weakened the argument.

Third the author addresses that imposing higher tax will decrease its balance of trade deficit. This is irrelogical and unsupported as the author failed to answer several important questions such as what is the surity that it will not affect the export? whether the usage of oil has hit the threshhold?.As the author failed to answer these question one is left is the claim that it is more of a wishfull thinking rather substantative evidences. So the argument has no legs to stand on.

Because author left out key issues it is not sound or persuasive. the argument is full of assumptions where author has assumed alot of unsubstantiated evidences . had the author included above mentioned points into view, the argument would have been incontrovertible.