Statistics gathered over the past three decades show that the death rate is higher among those who do not have jobs than among those with regular employment. Unemployment, just like heart disease and cancer, is a significant health issue. While many healt

Statistics gathered over the past three decades show that the death rate is higher among those who do not have jobs than among those with regular employment. Unemployment, just like heart disease and cancer, is a significant health issue. While many health care advocates promote increased government funding for medical research and public health care, it would be folly to increase government spending if doing so were to affect the nation's economy adversely and ultimately cause a rise in unemployment. A healthy economy means healthy citizens.

Unemployment as mentioned, by the author, is in fact a major problem which does in fact cause one major complications in life. However to state that unemployment like cancer and heart disease is a health issue is to keep in the dark.

Firstly the author did not provide statistics clearly, as well as not stating the situational factors, which could have just as well affected the statistics. Unemployment generally stems from a lack of education or some personal complications like mental health issues. Perhaps the reason for an earlier death may not have been because of unemployment but might have been a result of a millennium of struggle. Perhaps being raised without money would have led to poor living conditions which would overtime have affected their health. Or maybe they struggled with past demons which might have affected them later on.

The author suggested that in order to end such deaths, unemployment would have to be eliminated which in return meant that funding on medical research projects will have to be limited in order to ensure that such an act could be rationalized. This is a claim with no base. People with unemployment, generally die of some disease, even if earlier, and if research on curing those diseases was to be hampered even more of them would die as a consequence owing to a lack of a cure. This would in fact result in the increase of overall number of deaths rather than limiting them.

Lastly the author claimed that nations with better economies had better health, which is fallible. For instance, when people have the money, they have the resources to buy more expensive food such as fast food as opposed to home cooked meals. Such foods cause obesity, which results in even more health problems. Hence it is not always true that a good economy would yield better health amongst its citizens.

The authors claim may in essence be valid, but he could have made his case stronger by providing more details and results. Conclusively, if unemployment needs to be eliminated, the government will have to invest in more jobs, and improved health care facilities in order to ensure the occurrence of such events diminishes.