Twenty years ago, Dr. Field, a noted anthropologist, visited the island of Tertia. Using an observation-centered approach to studying Tertian culture, he concluded from his observations that children in Tertia were reared by an entire village rather than

Twenty years ago, Dr. Field, a noted anthropologist, visited the island of Tertia. Using an observation-centered approach to studying Tertian culture, he concluded from his observations that children in Tertia were reared by an entire village rather than by their own biological parents. Recently another anthropologist, Dr. Karp, visited the group of islands that includes Tertia and used the interview-centered method to study child-rearing practices. In the interviews that Dr. Karp conducted with children living in this group of islands, the children spent much more time talking about their biological parents than about other adults in the village. Dr. Karp decided that Dr. Field's conclusion about Tertian village culture must be invalid. Some anthropologists recommend that to obtain accurate information on Tertian child-rearing practices, future research on the subject should be conducted via the interview-centered method.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The author of this argument has considered the research conducted by two noted anthropologist Dr. Field (F) and Dr. Karp (K). However the result of the two researchers was contrasting. Thus the author considers the recommendation made by other anthropologists, that to obtain accurate information on Tertian child-rearing practices, future research on the subject should be conducted via the interview-centered method. However a number of questions that needs to be answered to justify the recommendation made.

Firstly the inference made by k’s research and his conclusion that F’s result is invalid has been taken by other anthropologist as basis of recommendation. However there are number of mysteries within Dr. karps research that needs to be answered before considering his result. Dr. karp has conducted the research on a group of islands rather that the Tertian island alone so his research is supposed to be more generalized than being specific. Secondly Dr. karp did not mention what was the group age of the children among whom the interview was conducted. If the age of children among whom the interview was conducted were low it is obvious they are more attached to their biological parents and will talk more of them. Also the nature of question asked in the interview is not presented by Dr. karp to substantiate his conclusion. Therefore it is not justified to make Dr. karps result as the basis of recommendation.

Another flaw in the argument is that the author has compared the research made twenty years ago to the research made recently. There are numerous possibilities that in twenty years the living style of the people living in Tertian village has changed. And that the tertian island people used to have a culture where the entire village was more involved in rearing of children than the biological parents. If that is the case the research by Dr X is true. So it is inappropriate to make comparison between two data from distinct periods.

Thus in absence of any strong evidence from the Dr. Karps research the other anthropologists recommendation seems to be justified that further research needs to be done in order to make an accurate conclusion regarding the Tertian village child rearing habit. However if Dr Karp would have documented his premises of research with statical data and other substantial evidence his research could be guaranteed the present culture of child rearing in the village.