We recommend that Monarch Books open a caf in its store Monarch having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years has a large customer base because it is known for its wide selection of books on all subjects Clearly opening the caf w

We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because it is known for its wide selection of books on all subjects. Clearly, opening the café would attract more customers. Space could be made for the café by discontinuing the children's book section, which will probably become less popular given that the most recent national census indicated a significant decline in the percentage of the population under age ten. Opening a café will allow Monarch to attract more customers and better compete with Regal Books, which recently opened its own café."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The author recommends Monarch Books open a café. To justify his claims, he cites that children under age ten would decline according to the most recent national census. He also says that the competitor of Monarch Books, Regal Books, opened its own café. However, the author needs to answer some questions to help us to make the evaluation.

Firstly, the author needs to tell us that whether the number of population under age ten decreases in the city where Monarch Books locates in. From the trend of the whole nation, we would not infer the situation in this city is the same. It is possible that the number of children under ten years old would increase significantly in the future. Moreover, even the percentage of children under ten years old would decline in this city, the number of children under age ten may not decline. For example, if the number of old people increases significantly, although the number of children under age ten increases a little, the percentage of children would decrease significantly. If the author provide the information that the number of population under age ten decrease, the recommendation would be believable. But if the author provide the information which shows that the number of children under ten years old increase, the recommendation would be weaken.

Secondly, the change of profit in Regal Books recently would help us to evaluate the suggestion. Opening café may not equal to earn more money. Perhaps, after opening cafe, the profit may decline. For example, cafe may attract people who just want to have a rest. Or he/she only come to Regal Books to enjoy the coffee. Obviously, all these people would not buy books, so they would not bring profit to book store. In addition, people who like quiet atmosphere may choose another book store. If the profit increases, the author’s claims would be strengthen. On the contrary, if the profit decrease, the author’s claims would be incredible.

Thirdly, even the income of Regal Books have increased largely after opening cafe, it may not make effect in Monarch Books. What are the different surrounding between Regal Books and Monarch Books? If there are colleges around Regal Books, students would be the main customers, who prefer to drink coffee to keep their brain fresh. However, if there are hospitals around Monarch Books, patients would come to book stores mostly. Considering their health condition, drinking coffee may have disadvantages for them. Thus, coffee may not welcome. If the author verifies that the surrounding between Regal Books and Monarch Books are the same, the argument would be believable. But if the author shows that there are differences in surrounding between Regal Books and Monarch Books, the claims would be impaired.

In sum, to evaluate the recommendation, the author needs to provide the information about whether the number of children under age ten decline in the city where Monarch locate in, whether Regal Books earned more money after opening café, and different surrounding between Regal and Monarch.