If rituals did not exist we would have to invent them We need ceremonies and rituals to help us define ourselves socially and culturally

“If rituals did not exist, we would have to invent them. We need ceremonies and rituals to help us define ourselves socially and culturally”.

“Man by his constitution is a religious animal” said Edmund Burke. He is by nature weak and incomplete and hence seeks divine help to overcome his weaknesses. If rites and rituals did not exist, we would have to create them as it defines us and basically teaches us to lead a pious life.

Most of the people are religious in their daily routine, like offering daily prayers, worshipping at temple and even engaging in philanthropic activities, like giving charities or donation to religious bodies. On the contrary, many turn to religion or the almighty god, only when they are faced with difficulties and the uncertainties of life. When ceremonies are held, it gives a sense of togetherness and unity; because people come together, communicate, have meals together, enjoy and then depart. This is a kind of a family get together which is necessary in one’s life. This only happens when rituals, ceremonies take place.

For instance, In China, a ceremony called ‘The Burning Money’ is celebrated every year because they believe that by doing so they would connect to the spirits of their deceased family members, ancestors, etc. Another ceremony I am able to recollect is the ‘Mah Jong’ ceremony. In this ceremony, people gather, they eat dumplings together and watch the lion and dragon dance.

Religion, rituals and ceremonies are something more sublime and spiritual. It never teaches untruth, violence, dishonesty, in fact it helps us to be happy and at peace with us. For example, many common rituals are performed daily in our country and those are as follows: Ringing the bell before entering the temple because they say that though god is present everywhere, we ring the bell to ask permission. Second, saying ‘Shaanti’ thrice. Shaanti means peace and by saying so we release all the negativity and finally attain peace. Lastly, Saying ‘Namaste’. Namaste is derived from Sanskrit words ‘Namah’ and ‘te’ which means “I bow down to you”. It has a spiritual significance of reducing ego of a person and this is what has become the symbol of India to the outside world.

In summary, ‘Human beings are considered as social animal’ but to prove it correct- There must exist rituals and ceremonies.