“Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could”. Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim made above. Use relevant reasons and examples to support your point of view

“Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could”. Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim made above. Use relevant reasons and examples to support your point of view.

Scandals are the disgraceful event/gossip about the private lives of people. Scandals- though being a disgraceful event, it does draw our attention on problems that no speaker or reformer ever could. They say that- “Great men are almost always bad men” because power tends to corrupt them. Their belief of gaining control over people leaves them corrupted.

Scandals include the immoral or problematic behavior of people which is usually unacceptable by the society. It is correct that people learn by making mistakes but it makes them wiser and practical by finding an agreeable solution for it. But, ‘Who takes up the responsibility of finding a solution’? Reformers only preach morally but it takes a real leader to fight to find a solution.

A number of concerns and controversies have been surfaced in the country which focused our minds to the problems. The Commonwealth Games in 2010 (New Delhi, India) was severely criticized by Indian politicians and activists because billions of dollars were spent on it despite being aware of the fact that India has one of the largest concentration of poor people. Another scandal which caused serious corruption was the 2G Spectrum Scam. Even the Bollywood actresses have been caught up in various scandals. More than their films, it’s their MMS controversy which has brought them to lime light.

Thus, there is a need for a proper check and balance on all people occupying positions of power and authority. After causing awareness, astringent solution must be found so that no such scandal repeats.

Conclusively, scandals do center our attention on problems which no social reformer ever could, but we cannot claim that scandals are useful just because of the ability of getting attention.