We can usually learn much more from people whose views we share than from people whose views contradict our own disagreement can cause stress and inhibit learning

"We can usually learn much more from people whose views we share than from people whose views contradict our own; disagreement can cause stress and inhibit learning."

I concede with the speaker’s statement – we learn more from the people whose ideas we share than those with whom we differ – due to the fact that undue discord can impede the learning process. Otherwise, in my view, differing perspectives can be very helpful and enriching for the learning process.

Admittedly, under certain circumstances, the disagreement causes bitterness among the debating parties and seriously hampers the learning process. We need to look no further than television talk shows, for example, where participants are more interested in imposing their viewpoint on the others, rather than finding some useful common grounds and agreeing on something. Such futile debates result in entire wastage of time with no gain to participants of the show, as well as, to the viewers.

Disagreement can also hinder learning in a scenario where the debating parties disagree on the fundamental assumption needed for such debate – for example, a student of paleontology learns little about the evolution of animal species by debating with an individual whose religious views precludes the possibility of evolution. Similarly, a person with hard-lined views in favor of communism can be hardly a good choice with whom the merits of democracy can be debated.

Aside from forgoing provisos, however, I disagree with the speaker’s claim. Difference of opinion is the very foundation on which much of human knowledge and experience is based. For example, consider the case of the parent-teenager relationship. By listening to parents the teenagers can understand how certain behavior can carry undesirable consequences for them. Similarly, parents can learn the valuable lesson that effective parenting and control are two different things. At the community level, by listening to the business and factory owners, the environmentalists can understand their legitimate concerns about economic and job losses. Conversely, factory owners can understand the value of a cleaner environment and public health. At international levels, two nations can resolve much of their problems peacefully, thus, ending the possibility of conflicts and wars.

In conclusion, unless the two parties are willing to debate on reasonable merits, I acknowledge that disagreement can hinder learning. Otherwise, the reasoned debate between people with opposing viewpoints is very helpful in boosting learning.