Table showing percentages of water use for domestic industrial and agricultural sectors in 6 countries in 2003

Table showing percentages of water use for domestic, industrial and agricultural sectors in 6 countries in 2003.

The table compares the distributions of water for three purposes (domestic, industrial and agriculture) among six countries in 2003.

It can be seen that three out of six countries used the majority of water for industrial purposes, two countries used most of their water for agriculture and only one for domestic use.

In the domestic category, while Australia was the nation with the largest percentage of domestic used water, at 65%, China came in last when only 6% of the nation’s water used for this purpose. For agriculture, nearly 90% of China’s water consumption topped this category, Turkey ranked second with 70% agriculture water.

For the the industrial purpose, the country with largest water consumption for this was Canada with a hefty 81%, followed by UK and Russia, at 73% and 62% respectively. China and Australia both consumed below 10% of their water for industrial activities (7% for China and merely 2% for Australia).