some people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in a workplace. others think that the true function of a university should be to give access to a knowledge for its own sake, regardless of whether the cours

some people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in a workplace. others think that the true function of a university should be to give access to a knowledge for its own sake, regardless of whether the course in useful to the employer.

what in your opinion should be the main function of a university?

Over the past few decades, it has been a topic of discussion that whether universities should educate its students about selected courses only or whether they should be taught all the courses, regardless of their own and their employer's interest. In my personal opinion, students should be offered only those courses in which they are interested, as it will help them in concentrating and focusing on that particular subject.

Universities these days offer a wide variety of courses. A pupil should be able to choose the subjects and coursed according to his interest. In this way they can give all their time to that particular course and excel in it. There is no point in teaching someone hundreds of courses, as the end result could be disappointing then. Lets take an example of a entrepreneur. If he is taught physics and chemistry, in addition to his business subjects, we can expect him to go off track and easily lose his concentration.

Having said that, I also believe that offering students some basic life saving courses, like BLS, are of vital importance. Even if they don’t interest their employer, they will be in their long term benefit as such courses will acquaint them with basic techniques, which are required in everyday life.

In order for a person to excel in his field and his workplace, h ought to have sound knowledge and should have full command on his subject. This is only possible if he is made to focus on that particular subject. This way, an individual would be able to work with more alacrity and enthusiasm. Universities play a key role in ensuring this by teaching a student, subjects of their interest, which can turn out to be useful in their future endeavors.