Some people believe that students should take a wide range of courses However others believe that students would focus on the subject that they are good at or they are interested in Discuss both views and give your own opinion

Some people believe that students should take a wide range of courses. However, others believe that students would focus on the subject that they are good at or they are interested in. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

There has been a debate about the range of subjects students are encouraged to learn. While some people recommend students to take a wide variety of subjects, others propose a more concentrating way of study.

The main advantage for students to engage into a broad range of subjects is they would be exposed to various disciplines which allow them to understand the work and society from a variety of perspectives. Moreover, these diverse areas of knowledge are connected with each other directly or indirectly, allowing students to better and more deeply understand each subject and inspiring their curiosity to their world. However, every student's aptitude is different. Some students are excellent at language and weak at mathematics. If we force them to study the subject that they find difficult is very likely to dampen the student's enthusiasm and damage their self-confidence, which is certainly the last thing that educators and parents would want to see.

On the other side, by focusing on a few subjects, students tend to able to perform well because they can concentrate their limited time and energy on a narrow range of school work. As a result, it enhance their confidence in their academic ability and sense of achievement. Allowing students to select a small number of courses also gives them the opportunity to be only immersed in their favorite classes or what they are good at instead of these that they have no clue about at all.

My personal view about this controversy is that both sides are based on good sense, and they can be reconciled with each other. During primary, children should be encouraged to get involved in as many areas of knowledge as possible in order to experience the world. Whereas in secondary school, adolescents basically have identified their tendency in academic and career terms, so they should be allowed to narrow down their study to a particular domain related to their future career.