An increasing number of people choose to live in big cities What problems will this cause What can the government do to solve these problems

An increasing number of people choose to live in big cities. What problems will this cause? What can the government do to solve these problems?

In current society, urbanization is a serious problem faced by many countries around the world. Life in cities has many drawbacks. In this essay I will analyze some problems that this phenomenon creates and the solutions the government should take to overcome this problem.

The most obvious problem of urbanization is overcrowded cities. More and more people are choosing to live in big cities, as a result, those cities are now suffering from all sorts of problems, such as lack of jobs, air pollution, traffic congestion and an increase in housing. For example, business and governments cannot produce enough jobs to meet the demand of a fast-growing population and more people means more cars in the streets which becomes a serious thread to health. Furthermore, rapid urbanization affects crime rates in cities. For instance, frustration and alienation linked to a lower status, limited access to education, money and other resources push younger generation to join organized crime. Moreover, the growth of urban population widens the gap between the urban and rural area. This point is best illustrated with the example of income inequality. Large cities offers incomes which are considerably higher than other smaller towns. Consequently, more people prefer to work in big cities and the workforce in rural areas will decrease.

One possible solution is that the government should create more employment opportunities in rural areas to prevent people to relocate to cities in search for job. For example, the government could explore the potential of rural areas in terms of tourism, living and working conditions and natural resources for jobs opportunities. In addiction to this, government should improve educational facilities and training infrastructures, in order to upskill young people for the labor market so they will not choose to leave their hometown for a better education.

In conclusion, there are several problems of urbanization including overpopulated cities, rise criminal rate and increased gap between urban and rural areas. However, if the government take few effective steps, such as offering better job opportunities in rural areas according to its potentials and improving rural infrastructure, can alleviate this modern-day problem.