Today governments should spend more money on medical research to protect health of people rather than on protecting the environment Agree or disagree

Today, governments should spend more money on medical research to protect health of people rather than on protecting the environment. Agree or disagree?

Today’s world is facing two major issues – environment and health, both of which have a major impact on our wellness. To address such problem, some argue that governments’ spending should be more on medical innovations than on preserving nature. This essay attempts to identify two reasons against this statement.

To begin with, there is a strong link between a person’ s overall health with the quality of the environment that he resides in. that is, our natural environment provides us with many vital natural resources, such as air, clean water or fertile soil which are of essence to growing grains. Crops, like rice or corns are the staples of many countries, without which people are destined to face famine or malnutrition. Therefore, to maintain this source of nourishment, it is critically important for governments to prevent natural resources from deterioration. In African countries where there is constantly lack of investment in protecting nature, the citizens are reported to suffer from forest fires or severe drought, resulting in high death tolls, although these countries have enjoyed great medical aid from developed ones.

Secondly, from an economic perspective, it is a false economy to mainly finance for the advancements in medical studies with a view of raising public health. Medical treatments are by and large expensive and considered as a last resort, which is responsible for pain and suffering in patients, ranging from slight to excruciating. Consequently, many patients find it psychologically easier to endure their conditions rather than spending a huge fortune on curing them with the result that increasing losses of life are inevitable. Many surveys demonstrate that patients in developed countries are reluctant to be hospitalized but would rather let diseases take its course due to the high cost of treatments.

In short, it is optimal to channel our financial resources into protecting the environment as it offers us a safety net that not only save more lives in general but makes our habitat worth living.