An increasing number of people now prefer to go shopping in supermarkets rather than small shops and local markets Is this a positive or negative development

Nowadays, at every corner, you can see chain supermarkets. Although there are many of them, they are full of people. Most of the people feel freedom while they are in these supermarkets. However, local groceries cannot compete with them. People buy small things such as water, newspaper, or only one or two pieces of their total needs.

Supermarkets provide a varied number of products. People can find several brands of one product. They can compare the prices, and they can buy the one they exactly want. Most people like having options and choose one of them. In addition, people can find different types of products which they can find in different types of groceries. It is very difficult to buy deli, fruits, vegetables, meat products, and cleaning products in one grocery. People have to go to different places to buy them.

Supermarkets provide good opportunities in an economical way. There are some campaigns in supermarkets and people can buy the product at very cheap prices. There are some people who follow these campaigns and buy the product. Some chain supermarkets sell their own branded products which are cheaper than the others. Discount stores provide good advantages to the people.

This kind of advantage makes supermarkets more powerful against local groceries. Similarly, other local businesses have some difficulties competing. Since the world is changing, local businesses should also change. They can focus on niche segments and homemade products instead of mass products. Some people love homemade products and they prefer this kind of product instead of the ones on the market shelf. In addition, local businesses have to adapt themselves due to changing conditions. They have to have a website, a store in e-marketplaces, and courier services.

To conclude, the world is changing and this change brings some responsibilities to business owners. There is more competitive comparing to the past. Due to these facts, people are transforming their businesses. Although local groceries have some disadvantages comparing to supermarkets, they should be in commercial life to keep diversity and variety. If they find their niche markets, if they transform business they can adapt to the changing conditions.

Essays by the user: