Some people believe that having interviews is the best way to find new employees for a company Others say that there are better alternative ways to appoint employees Discuss both these views and give your own opinion

Some people believe that having interviews is the best way to find new employees for a company. Others say that there are better alternative ways to appoint employees. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

There is no doubt every organization needs an efficient workforce and a lot of different ways are available for recruiting them. While some people believe that conducting interviews is the best practice for hiring employees, others are of the view that there are several alternate ways of appointing employees such as solving case studies. In my opinion, case solving is the better option for recruitment. As these points require prudent elaboration, it is apposite to discuss them in subsequent paragraphs.

To begin with, let us discuss why few people believe an interview is the most efficient method of hiring. First and foremost, interviews help an employer to judge an aspiring candidate quite quickly. To elaborate, through this mode of hiring, the interviewer can easily decide whether the candidate is worthy or not, that too within the first few minutes. For instance, he can ask multiple questions within a short span of time and hence can assess the candidate easily. Moreover, one can check speaking skills also through this mode. Interviews have conducted either face to face or telephonically and in both ways, a person has to speak. Hence recruiter can assess if the candidate is fluent enough to express his ideas verbally or not.

On the contrary, if we talk about the other means of hiring employees such as solving case-studies or Hackathons, the employer can check a thorough knowledge of the candidate within a particular domain. To explicate, case studies are more specific to the field in which the company is looking for, hence the case to be solved would be more relevant and the recruiter can judge the aspirant properly. Apart from that one can check if the person is actually knowledgeable or has just crammed the concepts. To explain, in real-live solving assignments, a person has to use his knowledge to solve the case which would be specific to that particular area and cannot be generalized.
In my opinion, recruiting candidates through other methods especially case-solving is the most efficient method because this way can help an organization to reduce employee churn. To explicate, in most cases, only the candidate who is serious about the job will spend time and effort in solving the case study. Hence this way an organization can avoid the potential hiring of bad –employees. For instance, Harvard Business Review article published on 14 April 1997, named “Traits to find in your to-be employee” that the best way to judge the qualities of an interviewee is through in-depth case-study solving competitions as through this mode apart from detailed knowledge, candidate’s analytical and problem-solving skills can also be analyzed.
In conclusion, there is a wide range of options available for corporates to hire employees. Those who want quick results prefer interviews and others who are very particular towards employees’ skills and do not want to take any chance, choose alternatives such as case solving. In my opinion, the latter is a more efficient method of hiring as it helps the employer to maintain employee-retention.