The reading passage states that the new generation is less interested in books which negatively affects the culture in general and the future of the literature

The reading passage states that the new generation is less interested in books, which negatively affects the culture in general and the future of the literature.

The reading and the lecture are both about the decline in the youth’s interest to the literature. According to the reading passage, the new generation is performing less interest to the books, which negatively effects the culture in general and the future of the literature.
The lecturer casts doubt on the claims made in the article. By using the following evidence, she suggests that the decreasing interest to the books does not lead the cultural declining.
First of all, the lecturer states that a book may not be literature or a fiction book to enhance the knowledge. It may be, for example, a science book or a historical book and it will still make the reader more culturally developed. This point is inconsistent with the one in the article, whereby the literature is the main source of the intellectual stimulation, exercising the imagination, expanding the understanding of the language. Likewise, the author of the reading supports his claim by mentioning that the lack of literature decreases the culture and the personal development of the readers.
Furthermore, according the professor, the culture does not decline by reading less books, there are various sources of expanding the knowledge – music, cinema, history and political studies. The professor states that a person can enhance his cultural knowledge by diving in the sources listed above and that literature is not the only way of increasing the cultural level. However, the author of the reading contends that the lack of reading leads to the consumption of less intellectually demanding content. He suggests that rather than spending time on novels, people prefer simple entertainment content which lowers their culture.
Additionally, the professor puts forth the idea of that the writers themselves influence the interest to the literature by being difficult in comprehension. He adds that modern writers negatively impact on the literature support and that the early generation of writers were easier to understand.
This counters the point made in the reading passage, according to which the trend of reading less literature and lowering the standarts of the reader’s choice is regrettable to the talented writers. It is suggested that it leads to the decreasing of their support and investment in the modern literature.