Summarize the points made in the lecture, being sure to explain how they cats doubt on specific points made in the reading passage.

Essay topics in audio

Both the reading and the listening discuss wonder drugs. The article states penicillin and other antibiotic drugs played an important role in the twentieth century. However, the lecture casts doubt on specific points made in the reading passage. The professor refutes the idea about wonder drugs.

The first point the professor makes is a new kind of bacteria appeared with the treatment. He elaborates some hospitals used the antibiotic drugs in 1915 but today there are more resistant bacteria. As an example he says people are recommended to stay at home to keep safe. This casts doubt in the point from the reading. The latter states it was possible for patients to stay in hospitals for treatment by using the antibiotics.

Furthermore, the professor points out antibiotics were given as weapons to create protection against the disease but colonies of bacteria killed just for moments. He explains that some cells survived and as a result they generated new ones. Later, bacteria made the antibiotics useless. This casts doubt in the point made in the passage. According to the article, antibiotics were powerful tools to fight against the diseases.

Finally, the lecture states the antibiotics were not used against infections. As the speaker has it, the use of penicillin resulted in death of the patients. Besides, the treatment against tuberculosis was not satisfied. It appeared again due to resistance. This point casts doubt the readings’ key point. According to the passage, penicillin cured pneumonia and streptomycin cured tuberculosis.