tpo 30

tpo 30

The reading and the lecture is discussing a device, called burning mirror, built and used by ancient greek to defend themselfs aganist roman navy attackes. While the reading mentions the reasons to support that greeks never built such a wepon device and this device was a myth, the lecture opposes all reasons that previously illustrated in the reading passage.

First, the lecture mentions that the device can be mad, with simple technology, from small sheets of copper that attached together to form a massive big copper sheet. The simple technology would be sufficent enough to produce a several meter copper mirror that could reflec sun light to burn roman navy ships. This contradicts with what the reading mentions. t.

Second, contrary to the belief in the reading passage that the device is inpractical and insufficent wepon because it required a non-moving object and time to set roman ships wood on fire, the lecture mentions that roman shaped was made from other materials rather than wood, like pitch. Pitch is a material that used by roman to stick the wood together to build their ships.Such a matetial is very inflamable and the burning mirror wepon could set this material on fire in just few seconds. That was another point were the lecture contradict the reading.

Finally, the author mentions that the greeks have no reasons to build the burrning mirror device since they use other weapons such as flaming arrows to burn approching roman navy ships. The lectlure refuts the idea by mentioning that the flaming arrows weapon is less efective than burning mirror because romans were familiar with how to deal with them. They could quickly put the fire off. In contrast, since they can't see the light waves from the new weapon device, they are not familiar with how to deal with maject fire that catch up in their ships suddenly. The surprising factor of the new weapon is very effective to burn roman ships. Therefore, the greeks have a good reason to build such a device.

Overall, it seems that the lecture showed that there are some discrepancies in the points illustrated in the reading material.