TPO 33 Integrated Writing Task

The passage mentions that there is a carved stone ball founded, and there is several theories that how the ball was used. But the professor thinks none of them can present convincing evidences.

Firstly, one theory is that the balls was used as weapons, for some of them have holes and grooves, which can be used as weapons. On the contrary, the professor said that if the balls were used as weapons, they should have some cracks or broken. The evidence is that the balls' surface is preserved well, which means there is no damage on the ball.

Secondly, another theory is that the ball was a standard unit of weight, because they are uniform in size, as well as they are interchangeable. However, the speaker mentions that the balls were made by different types of stone. Meanwhile, the stone have different dense. Some stones are heavier than other stones, even if they have the same size. So they are less likely to be a primitive system of weights and measures.

Finally, the author thinks it is possible that they can be used as symbol of social status, since many of them have elaborate designs. And yet, the professor doesn't think they can served as the main social marker. There also are some balls which have simple design, which suggests they can not used as the symbol of status. Moreover, in that period, many high-rank people always keep some valuable object when they were buried. But none of the ball was founded in their bury. The professor totally refuses what the author mentions in the passage.