TPO 56

Essay topics

Both the passage and lecture talk about a pattern of fine lines on the bones of a fossil skeleton of a dinosaur called Sinosauropteryx. Some paleontologists believe that those fine lines represent feathers. The passage proposes several theories that those fine lines were not feathers. On the other hand, the professor states that the evidence for those fine lines are feathers is strong, and the arguments mentioned in the reading are unconvincing.

First, the passage claims that those fine lines were the result of the decomposition of the Sinosauropteryx's skin after it was dead and buried in volcanic ash. Nevertheless, the professor denies this view and states that the other fossils of the animals found in the same area have well-preserved skins, so it is unlikely that those fine lines be a result of skin decomposition. Moreover, she explains that from the evidence found from other fossils, they can conclude that those fine lines represent the functional structures of a living dinosaur.

Second, the reading states that those fine lines were probably remains of frills rather than feathers. Nonetheless, the lecturer rejects this idea and illustrates that frills and feathers have chemical differences. She explains that feathers have a certain protein that is absent in the frills. They have examined the structures of the fossil, and they have found that specific protein. As a result, those fine lines were because of feathers.

Finally, the author suggests that the functions of feathers are fly or thermoregulation, but those fine lines were on the backbones and tails of the Sinosauropteryx fossil. However, the speaker refutes it, saying that feathers have other uses. She says that peacock has a colorful tail that uses it to attract mates. The analysis has shown that the structures of the backbones and tails of Sinosauropteryx were colorful, orange and white. This evidence supports the idea that they used their feathers for display.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.