TPO32 task1 quakers

TPO32 task1 quakers

The speaker and the writer hold divergent ideas about the cause of quackers. In order to debate three theories made in the passage, the professor in the lecture proposes some evidence and examples which will be explained in the following essay.

First of all, according to the writer, the odd sounds were the calls of male and female orca whales for courtship. However, the lecturer disagrees with this idea and deems it is high unlikely. This is because orca whales were living in the deep ocea while the submarines only moved in the surface water. Therefore, it was impossible for the submarines detected the orca's sound due to distance. Plus, submarines could also detect the whales nearby if the sound were made by them. All of these reasons could evidence what the authors writes is implusible.

Second, the passage says that the sound as made by gaint squids which have soft bodies. In order to refute this idea, the professor in the lecture claims that the odd sound was firstly reported in 1960s and disappeared in 1980s. However, the gaint squids have still continued to live in the ocean. Indeed, if the sound was made by the gaint squids, there is no reason the sound suddenly appeared and then suddenly stopped twenty years later.

Finally, opposing the third view made in the passage that the sound were from some military technology which was secretly used in the marine, the lecturer argues that this opinion does not hold up since the quackers changed the direction quickly and there was no accompanied sound around. At that time, it iwas impossible to build such military technology which would move quickly and sliently at the same time.

In sum, according to the aforementioned reasons, the speaker totally disagrees with what the author writes in the passage.