Some people believe that the best time for a person to learn a new language is when he/she is a child. Others feel adults learn languages better and faster than children.Discuss both of these views and give your own opinion.

Some people believe that the best time for a person to learn a new language is when he/she is a child. Others feel adults learn languages better and faster than children.

Discuss both of these views and give your own opinion.

Learning a second/foreign language has been regarded as a significant and great challenge all the way through history. As a matter of fact, many researches have been trying to find out what is the best period of time to learn a new language easier. Many investigations have concluded that the best moment to acquire and master not only the rules of a second language but also a native-speaker pronunciation is the age before puberty.

Over that period of time, the brain is in a pre-mature stage, where its degree of plasticity is higher. This, allows neurons to make new connections between them easier than a post-mature brain, enhanced the neural network which is fundamental to learn a second/foreign language. Thus, children and pre-adolescent are able to reach a better level of proficiency in this new language that could compete with any native-speaker. At this shows, the degree of neural plasticity is a valuable advantage to learn more properly a second/foreign language.

Nonetheless, in an adult stage, the learning process could be regarded as more efficient. New studies have shown that adults have a greater knowledge of the world, mature cognitive skills and an enhanced learning capacity that improve the process of learning. Those skills allow them to learn more vocabulary and to convey ideas in a better way than children do it. However, reaching the same degree of pronunciation as a native-speaker is tougher than in that mature age. Indeed, a level of master in a second/foreign language is more complicated to acquire for an adult, it is not impossible, but require a longer period of time and hard work.

In conclusion, there is a clear physical advantage which able the learning process of a new language for children and teenager smoother than an adult. It is recommended that during that sensitive period of time children start the long but well rewarded journey of learning a second/foreign language.